11 Safety Tips for Garage Door Safety Month

June is recognized as Garage Door Safety month by the International Door Association (IDA) and Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA).  Your garage door is often the largest opening in your home, and the one that works the hardest.  Making sure your garage door is as safe as possible prevents accidents and gives you and your family peace of mind.  Here are 11 easy garage door safety tips from DASMA:

1. Replace Old Springs. Your garage door’s springs are arguably the most important and most dangerous part of your door. Springs wear out. When they break, injury can result. If you have an older garage door, have your springs inspected by a professional technician and replaced if needed. If your door has two springs, replace both, even if one is not broken. This will not only prevent any damage caused by the breaking of the second spring, but also keep your door working efficiently.
  2. Check Your Cables. Visually inspect the cables that attach the spring system to the bottom brackets on both sides of the door. If these cables are frayed or worn, they are in danger of breaking, which can cause injury. Due to the dangers associated with high spring tension, these cables should be replaced only by a trained technician.
    Cable- Sample Cable set-01
  3. Squeaky Springs? Springs can squeak and be noisy. This is caused by normal use and does not necessarily indicate a problem. Before calling a professional service technician, use a spray-on lubricant (recommended especially for garage doors). If the noise persists, call a professional garage door installer for service.
  4. A Do-It-Yourselfer, Eh? Installing a garage door can be very dangerous and is not recommended for a novice. DASMA recommends that trained door systems technicians install garage doors. If you attempt the installation by yourself, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions carefully.
  5. Safety Cables. If your garage door has extension springs, you need a safety cable that runs through the spring and secures to the wall or ceiling at each end. When your garage door is down, extension springs are under high tension. If the spring breaks, it may cause injury. A safety cable can keep that broken spring contained. If you have extension springs but do not have a safety cable, call your local dealer for a safety inspection.
  6. Struggling Door? If your door does not go up and down smoothly, you may have an unsafe condition. Even older door systems should operate smoothly. If the awkward operation continues when the door is manually operated, you may have a spring system that is out of balance. This can cause premature wear and tear on other important door components. Spring systems are dangerous and should be repaired only by trained professionals.
  7. Watch Your Fingers! Every year, many unsuspecting homeowners injure their fingers by placing them between the door sections to pull down on the door. According to DASMA Standard 116, if your door lacks pinch-resistant joints, you should have lift handles or suitable gripping points on the inside and outside of the door. Even if your door has an opener, the door must occasionally be operated manually. Never place your fingers between the door sections. If you manually open or close the door, use the handles or the safe gripping points!Luckily, Entrematic manufactures Amarr garage doors with patented SafeGuard pinch protection design.  SafeGuard hinges and safety bottom brackets reduce the chance of hand and finger injury by pushing the fingers out of the section joints.

Safeguard

1. Tamper Resistant Brackets. Since the bottom brackets on a garage door are connected to the door’s springs, these brackets are under extreme tension. They should be adjusted or loosened only by a trained door systems technician. Many manufacturers now include tamper resistant hardware that prevents loosening of the brackets by a novice.
  2. Use the Old Track? When buying a replacement garage door, some homeowners are tempted to save a few dollars by putting the new door on the old track. However, your old track may not fit with your new door, depending on the thickness of your sections, the weight of the door, the headroom required, the location of the garage door opener, and other considerations. The track and sections work together as a system. For maximum performance and long life, you should use the track that is designed for your specific door.
  3. Regular Service. Your garage door is probably the largest moving part in your home and is typically used every day. Over time, parts can wear out and break, creating potential safety problems. Although you should provide monthly safety checks and maintenance to your garage door system, an annual visit from a trained door systems technician can keep your door operating safely and smoothly for a long time.
  4. Safety Reverse. Since 1993, all openers manufactured for the U.S. must include a second safety reversing feature such as photoelectric eyes. These are installed near the floor. Once the invisible beam is broken, the door reverses automatically. If your opener lacks a similar safety reversing feature, it’s time to get a new opener. Check out this LiftMaster Safety Check video to see this tip in action:

Tips from: http://www.dasma.com

About Amarr Garage Doors

Amarr is one of the world’s leading brands of garage doors for residential garages, warehouses, commercial buildings, shopping malls and other commercial applications.
This entry was posted in Education, Safety and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to 11 Safety Tips for Garage Door Safety Month

1. Great article; you’ve provided us with some great suggestions! For me, the most useful suggestion is replacing my garage door spring—that thing is old! I’ll have a technician come out and give me a quote for the replacement. Thanks for recommending this to me; you’ve probably saved me from getting hurt!

2. My garage door just recently started to make some pretty funky sounds here in Salem, MA. It still works fine, for now. I am thinking about having someone come in and make the repair but I will check out these tips first and hopefully diagnose the problem. Thanks for sharing.

3. Steve Holt says:

It seems there are a lot of things that homeowners need to know about being safe using their garage doors. Your tip to watch my fingers when pulling down on the door will help me know how to keep them from getting pinched. My door opener isn’t working, so I have to pull down on them manually. It seems like a good idea to look for my lift handles or for a good gripping point so that I won’t hurt my fingers while trying to close it until I can get my remote working again. Thanks for the tips!

4. Jessy Shaw says:

My husband works all over the country and I have to do most of the handy work around the house myself. I can honestly say that garage doors are not my forte and ours has been having a lot of problems lately. I don’t really want to make things worse so I am hoping someone can come take a look. It is pretty old so I am looking at garage doors for a possible replacement. I’m sure there are great people to help me here in Smithfield, RI.

5. Kyle Ross says:

These are some great garage door safety tips, and I appreciate your advice to have good handles to grip the door with. I don’t have any, and although I haven’t had my fingers pinched in the panels of my door, I’ve had a few close calls. I’ll definitely look into installing some handles on both sides of the door for safety. Thanks for the great post!

6. Maggie Allen says:

Thanks for sharing all of these garage door safety tips! It is really good to know that you should have a professional inspect the door at least once a year. Since I just recently bought my house, I’m not too sure when the garage was last inspected. Maybe I’ll start looking for a professional to take a look at it. At the very least, that would ensure that it’s good condition, and prevent any potential problems!

7. Sarah Smith says:

My husband and I just moved into a house with a very old garage door. It was concerning because it squeaked and groaned every time it moved. It was comforting to know that this is fairly normal and that some lubricant can help fix the problem. Hopefully the problem will be fixed but if not we will definitely take your advise and call a professional.

8. Indeed, garage doors are huge and requires maintenance like everything else. You just need to make sure that you are able to call a repair man or something to take care of it quickly. The longer a problem is left to sit, more of an issue it can become.

9. Nash Rich says:

I’ve never actually checked how a garage door works, or seen the springs. That’s something I should probably do, because I don’t know how much use it’s had before I got into my new place. I haven’t seen or heard of any of these signs though. I think this is great information to keep in mind, so when something comes up, I can recognize it. Thanks!

10. Do you know what might be causing really loud squeaking when opening and closing your garage? Would that be caused by old springs? My garage is almost ear piercing when I open it and I am wondering how I could fix that. I’ll have to research some different types of springs and call in someone to take a look. We won’t be able to figure anything out until then.

11. Sarah Smith says:

My husband and I just moved into a new house and the garage door only works part of the time. Thanks for the advice about how to install a garage door on your own is not recommended as it can be very dangerous. I agree that it’s dangerous and think the best option for us would be to find a new door that matches our house and get someone to install it for us.

12. Alise Harper says:

I had no idea that there were so many safety tips that needed to be known about the garage doors. My garage door has been squeaking lately we tried putting WD40 on the springs but they are still squeaking. I guess it is time to call a professional. Thanks for the other safety tips, I will keep them in mind moving forward.

13. tobyaott says:

It is usually pretty obvious when a spring is broken,the door won’t work and the spring is in two pieces.

14. tobyaott says:

Broken garage door springs is the most dangerous and difficult job to perform regarding garage doors and their parts.

15. I had no idea that you shouldn’t use the old tracks when buying a new door. I know that I try and save money where ever I can, and would have tried to use them. It makes sense that they would not fit and cause problems, and I wouldn’t want that. Thanks.

16. The other day I was waiting for the garage door to open, and I noticed that it has a pretty nasty squeak. I’m glad to hear that this is a pretty common problem, and that we shouldn’t be too worried. I’ll be sure to try the spray-on lubricant, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll call a professional to come look at it right away.

17. Pingback: Preventive maintenance tips for the garage owners – Tips to repair a garage door | garagedoorrepaircommercecity

18. John Smith says:

This is so TRUE “Your garage door’s springs are arguably the most important and most dangerous part of your door. Springs wear out. When they break, injury can result. If you have an older garage door, have your springs inspected by a professional technician and replaced if needed”

19. Pingback: DIY: 5 Helpful Tips for Installing Your Garage Door Opener – completegaragedoorservice

20. Marco says:

Great tips! Garage door safety is very important and most people can take this for granted. Having your springs checked by a professional is definitely recommended every few years. Also check your cables since they are a very important part of your garage door. Always talk to a professional if you’re not sure what you’re doing, it can help prevent future problems and possible injury.

21. I’m glad I read this. I’m pretty sure my problem is on the bottom brackets. If your article is right, if I had tried to fix them on my own, the springs could have really hurt me! Thank you!

22. Mark Hopson says:

I would also add that it’s so important to have someone with you whenever doing any maintenance. I personally have had a garage door fall on me when doing some routine maintenance… Not fun. Luckily my partner was with me and he was able to get me to the urgent care. From then on I always have at least one person with me whenever doing any repairs. Hope that helps! – Mark

23. Excellent sharing about garage door safety tips…Thanks for sharing about this article.

24. Xavier Salas says:

I totally forgot that it was important to watch your fingers one time and totally crushed them! It hurt so bad! Thanks for the reminder, though. I appreciate the other tips that you have written out, and I am glad I have not run into any issues with those yet! Hallelujah. Any tips for how to prevent damage over time to the door? Thanks for the advice!

25. Devon Olson says:

I have read your article about Garage Door, this content is very helpful and I really need it. They need consistent maintenance in order to function quietly and properly. You shared some of the most common garage door problems and their solutions. Thank you for this and keep up the good work!

26. Pingback: Repair or Replace: Which Is Right for Your Garage Door? | Powder Springs Garage Door Repair

27. Ivy Baker says:

I liked that you talked about how you should get your door inspected on a regular basis. It does seem like a good thing to be aware of when you need to have a garage door. I wouldn’t want my garage to stop working for me.